What Exactly Is Toner?
Toner is a sweet little product that neutralizes brassy yellow and orange tones on bleached hair. It is usually purple-blue tinted. When applied to bleached hair, it takes it to more of an ashy, dusty, or platinum color. That means a much more natural-looking hair tone! It can also make your hair look shiner and healthier.
Toner is the term used for the product specifically meant to tone hair, but you can also use other products to tone your hair, such as hair dye or purple shampoo.
Have you ever seen someone walking around with yellow hair? And I don’t mean like they picked up a bottle of Manic Panic’s Electric Banana hair dye…. I mean they tried to go blonde, and it just came out a terrible mistake. Instead of Jennifer Lawrence, it was Lisa Simpson. That bad.
The problem is that they didn’t use a toner.
Important Things to Know About Toner
- Toners alter the undertone of a hair color, but do not lift the shade. This is they they are meant to be applied on bleached or blonde hair and will not work on darker hair.
- Toner can help you manipulate the shade of your blonde hair to make it look cooler, dingier, ashier, or even different colors like pink or purple.
- You can use it all over your hair, or just in specific parts where you want to change the shade. For example, it can tone down just the part of your hair with highlights, or just at the roots to make them look more natural.
- The more you wash your hair, the more frequently you’ll have to tone it. You can either tone it at home or go to the salon for touch-ups.
- You can use three different types of products to tone: purple shampoo, ammonia toners, or dye. I’ll go into details about those below.
When to Tone
Obviously, you should apply it after bleaching. But when is best?
If you go to the store and buy yourself a toner, say, Wella’s Color Charm in Lightest Ash Blonde, you’d really have to wait until your hair is lifted to a very light tone of yellow.
Otherwise, you run the risk of wasting your product and not achieving the desired results. So, once you’re at a light light yellow, you’re free to tone.
In general, you want to make sure that your hair is the desired level of blonde that you want, and that it’s in a place where it can take more treatment (is not too damaged).
What Results Can You Get?
You can get a huge range of color tones, from warm honey to light ash, and even silver! Wella Color Charm Toners have even got some red, brown, and violet toners that can be used on dark hair. Do your research and figure out what sort of tints and tones you can create on your own hair!